PRODUCTION CERTIFIED BSCI: WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
At FAGUO, we select each workshop carefully to associate know-how and respect of a strict, unique conduct code that is recognized around the world. Known as BSCI (Business Social Compliance Initiative), this certification guarantees that essential social and environmental practices, very important for us, are upheld in our workshops.
SO WHERE ARE FAGUO PRODUCTS MADE?
For FAGUO’s manufacturing, we have established strong partnerships with different workshops in Asia and Europe:
- FAGUO sneakers are made in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Casual shoes are made in Porto, Portugal.
- Ready-to-wear clothing and luggage are made in Shanghai and Canton, China
Historically China is part of FAGUO’s DNA since faguo means “France” in Chinese or, literally “Country of laws and manners”. This is also the first country that accepted to work with Nicolas and Frédéric when they created the brand in 2009. Besides the history of FAGUO’s creation, Asia is one of the only places in the world, when FAGUO began, where we found the “vulcanised” technique, a process that assembles the rubber sole in one piece and where there were machines adapted to this type of production.
It’s important for us to shake up prejudices about Asia or “made in China” by showing the modernity and quality of our workshops. All FAGUO workshops have been selected for their skills but also for their BSCI certification to show our strong commitment to fair-trade social and environmental policies.
BSCI: SO CONCRETELY, WHAT DOES A STRICT, UNIQUE CONDUCT CODE MEAN?
The BSCI conduct code requires FAGUO to encourage local workshops, have an active cooperation with them and help them progress, on an ongoing basis, while respecting their autonomy. To understand the concerns of different parts of the manufacturing process, the conduct code system is based on managing the communications and information shared between FAGUO and the workshops.
Concretely, working with BSCI certified workshops lets us offer essential social guarantees that correspond with FAGUO’s values:
- Freedom of assembly and the possibility of collective negotiation. Our company respects labor rights so they can create unions or other types of worker associations to negotiate collectively.
- A correct remuneration. FAGUO takes into account labor laws and always pays above-average wages in the country in question.
- Normal work schedules. We respect laws about work schedules.
- Fighting discrimination. We encourage equal chances and do not discriminate against workers.
- Security and health at work. We encourage a good work environment with healthy, secure workshops. Potential risks are evaluated and we set up solutions to eliminate or reduce any that may transpire!
- No forced labor
- Children are not allowed to work in our factories.
The BSCI certification encourages us to communicate within the company but also to our clients on the measures set up in our workshops. We encourage other brands to work with Chinese workshops on the basis of this certification and manufacture responsibly while benefitting from the skills of Asian factories.
THE CRUX OF OUR FIGHT: MANUFACTURING FARAWAY MUST NOT INFLUENCE OUR CO2 EMISSIONS
The BSCI certification includes measures so the workshops avoid deteriorating the environment. This allows FAGUO, for example, to be guaranteed of a responsible management of the workshops’ wastes.
In 2015, shipping at FAGUO represented 11% of its carbon footprint. Historically we prefer to use nautical or road shipping routes from Asia or Europe to France.
To compare this, the carbon impact of shipping a pair of shoes on the Portugal-France route is 30% higher than the Vietnam-France route, while the distance is 13 times lower. The difference: the Portugal-France shipping is done by truck vs. boat for the Vietnam-France route.
In 2019, we made a resolution to ship our production from Asia while emitting less CO2. So 50% of our production will be shipped by train as of the summer of 2020! Thanks to this more expensive optimization that is quicker than the nautical route, we will reduce the carbon footprint of our current shipping method!